The Louise Pettus Archives and Special Collections at Winthrop University is the repository for historically valuable records relating to the history of Winthrop University and South Carolina, particularly the heritage of the Catawba Region (Chester, York, Union and Lancaster counties).
A Winthrop University identification card or a scheduled appointment will be required to access the Archives collection. Researchers must call, write, or email before coming to the archives so that we may better serve you.
Justinian, Corpus iuris civilis (“Digest”). Single folio on vellum. Southern France, ca. 1275: 45 x 272 mm, essentially the entire page full of writing.
ca. 1900 - View of Cherry Road near Winthrop's Campus
1904 - Winthrop Students on Back Campus
1914 - Winthrop's Front Campus (L to R: Main Building (Tillman), North Dormitory (Margaret Nance), and Johnson Hall (Bancroft).
September 3, 1903 - Southern Railroad's Old Twenty-Five heading West from Rock Hill, SC Derailed and Plunged into Fishing Creek
ca. 1910s - Winthrop Students on Back Campus
1898 - Winthrop's First Summer School Class which included the First Male Students on Campus. Winthrop would not go fully coeducational until 1974, but men were permitted to take Evening and Summer School classes.