Business Communication Presentation Topics - listed alphabetically:
- Here are some search terms to get you started in gathering library resources for your presentations -- linked to the library catalog through the simple Quick Search. These search terms are also good choices for databases like Business Source Premier.
The Art of Negotiations – Search terms:
- negotiat** skill* - the * symbol is a wildcard. ** brings up the stem of the word, plus an infinite number of characters after the stem. Here, the * symbol brings up negotiate, negotiation, negotiating, and other variants on the word "negotiation".
- business negotiation.
Attitudes and Behaviors that Lead to Success – Search terms:
Channels of Communication and Its Impact on Entry-Level Employees – Search terms:
Dress and Grooming for Business – Search terms:
Effective Interpersonal Communications – Search terms:
Emotional Intelligence as a Strategy for Career Success – Search terms:
- emotional intelligence career* - brings up career, careers, career development, etc
- emotional intelligence - this brings up resources about emotional intelligence in more general terms. Interpersonal success is important to career success, and most of these search results capture the essence of being a good manager, succeeding at work, etc.
Employment Seeking and Organizational Fit – Search terms:
- job and organizational fit - more and better results in Business Source Premier (article database) than library catalog (descriptions of books & other materials owned by library, but no full-text searching)
- The following searches bring up related results:
Employment Seeking Strategies – Search terms:
Ethical and Moral Communications – Search terms:
Hard and Soft Skills
- search "hard skills" and "soft skills" separately. There are no books on hard skills and a few on soft skills*
- Hard skills are technical competencies and tangible skills. For example: industry-specific competencies, industry skill*, technical skills, languages, math.
- Soft skills are cognitive and behavioral skills.For example: analysis, synthesis, interpersonal skills, social skills, etiquette, cultural intelligence, honesty / integrity / ethics.
- Note: There are few full-length books devoted to hard skills or soft skills, but they are discussed in current articles or included in broader topics covered in books.
- *You'll find much better search results in databases: For articles, consult Business Source Complete. For scholarly full-text ebooks, consult ebrary and Ebsco ebook Academic.
The Impact of Culture in Shaping Business Communication – Search terms:
Netiquette and Technology – Search terms:
Social media for business practices
- strategy: make a list of business practices and sitations. For example: marketing, branding, hiring (e.g. investigaging applicants' social media pages), staff communication, customer engagement (for example asking customers to write a review on sites such as Yelp)
- example search terms:
Social media for employment seeking
Strategies and Techniques for Networking and Building Relationships – Search terms:
- networking relationship* - note: "networking" is also a computer and media term, so search results will include computer networks, social media, and broadcasting networks in addition to relationship networks.
- networking strateg** - use of ** picks up strategy, strategies, strategic, and other variants.
- business networking
- business relationship*
- networking success*
- business mentor**
- (business OR job* OR career*) AND (relationship* OR mentor* OR networking) - note about this search strategy:
- parentheses keep a concept together.
- within parentheses, OR gives the search engine some flexibility between several possible search terms.
- AND between items tells the search engine that concept 1 MUST be linked with concept 2.
- In this example, the "business/job" concept MUST be linked to networking (or some relationship-oriented synonym. Also note: the computer does NOT "think" of synomyms - we humans must do so. We provide the computer with synonyms by linking together possible alternative words for the same concept using OR. The relationship / mentor* / networking example here illustrates the human intervention needed for suitable synonym-finding).
Strategies for Conducting Effective Business Meetings – Search terms:
Strategies for Interviewing and Job Readiness – Search terms:
Technology and Business Communications – Search terms:
Value Added Employees – Search terms:
For more information about narrowing the search and other tips, please see the Search Strategies tab.